NOCHS Earns Trauma Level 4 Designation
As part of the Michigan Department of Health and Human Service’s statewide trauma facility verification and designation program, NOCHS has been officially designated as a Level 4 Trauma Center by the State of Michigan. This process allows all stakeholders and partners involved in the system, e.g. EMS services, to quickly match the injured patient to the correct resource in the right amount of time. Verification is the process where a recognized entity provides an objective, external review of institutional capability and performance.
“This designation validates the quality patient care our system is able to provide Northern Ottawa County. Specifically, this designation certifies that NOCHS has the ability to provide evaluation, stabilization, and diagnostic care, supported with Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) policies and protocols for trauma patients requiring a transfer to higher-level trauma centers,“ said Michele Laurino, NOCHS Trauma Coordinator. “In short, this means we have a very strong program.”
NOCHS submitted 12 months of trauma data to the State of Michigan and the State evaluated the hospital’s trauma service line on 17 different categories including disaster planning, emergency medicine, radiology services, and process improvement for trauma patients.
A Level 4 Trauma Center must be able to demonstrate the following:
- Basic emergency department facilities to implement ATLS protocols and 24-hour laboratory coverage. Available trauma nurses and physicians available upon patient arrival.
- May provide surgery and critical-care services if available.
- Has developed transfer agreements for patients requiring more comprehensive care at a Level One or Level Two trauma center.
- Incorporates a comprehensive quality assessment program
- Must be involved with prevention efforts and must have an active outreach program for its referring communities.
Designation additionally ensures that physicians and nurses have additional trauma education. Currently 90% of NOCHS emergency department nurses have achieved Trauma Nurse Core Curriculum certification.
Back to News